Your Money Matters 
 Information and advice for Tameside residents 
 Welfare Reform in 

 Information and advice for 
 Tameside residents 
 Reform in 

Discretionary Housing Payments

What are they?

Discretionary Housing Payments are temporary payments made by local councils to people who are struggling to pay their rent (e.g. because of the benefit cap or the bedroom tax).

Discretionary Housing Payments are intended to give people time to find a longer-term solution to the problem. If you are struggling to pay your rent, please click here for free local advice.

Discretionary Housing Payments can also be awarded to people who need to move home but who cannot afford rent in advance or a deposit.

Who can get them?

To get Discretionary Housing Payments, you must be eligible for and in receipt of either Housing Benefit or Universal Credit housing costs element.

Funding is limited, and any payments are discretionary and time limited.

Tameside MBC will look at your personal and financial circumstances before deciding whether to award you Discretionary Housing Payments.

If there are special circumstances that mean you cannot move to more affordable housing, explain this when you apply. Some examples can be found on page 8 of the bedroom tax factsheet.

How do I apply?

To apply for Discretionary Housing Payments, you will need to use the form on the Tameside MBC website.

If you are refused Discretionary Housing Payments, you can ask Tameside MBC to look at its decision again.

Housing benefit (bedroom tax)

Benefit checks and grants

Getting Advice

The Benefit Cap

Age Uk Jigsaw Homes Tameside Ashton Adullam Leap Regenda Citizens Advice Action Together GMPA Tameside Mind DWP