Your Money Matters 
 Information and advice for Tameside residents 
 Welfare Reform in 

 Information and advice for 
 Tameside residents 
 Reform in 

Council Tax Support Scheme

Council Tax Benefit was replaced by the Council Tax Support scheme on 1st April 2013.

Local councils now run their own schemes to help people on low-incomes pay their Council Tax. In Tameside, the scheme is called ‘Council Tax Support’.

If you are a Tameside resident, you can apply for help from this scheme regardless of whether you rent or own your home, providing you are liable to pay Council Tax.

Council Tax Support does not affect any other benefits you are getting.

Residents over Pension Credit age

If you are old enough to claim Pension Credit, you will get the same level of help that you would have done under Council Tax Benefit before 1st April 2013.

However, this only applies if neither you nor your partner are getting Income Support, Income Based Jobseekers Allowance, Income Related Employment and Support Allowance, or Universal Credit.

To calculate when you will be old enough to get Pension Credit, please click here.

Working-age residents

If you are under Pension Credit age, you will have to pay at least 20% of your total Council Tax bill.

Before 1st April 2013, some people under Pension Credit age who were claiming Council Tax Benefit did not have to pay anything towards their Council Tax.

If your home is in council tax band C or above, the level of Council Tax Support you can get is limited to what it would be for a band B property. To find out which band your home is in, click here.

How can I claim?

If you are a Tameside resident, you can claim Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit online here.

When you claim online, you will be given an estimate of how much Council Tax Support and/or Housing Benefit you may get.

You can only get Council Tax Support from the day that you claim (except in certain circumstances), so you should claim as soon as you think you may be eligible.

What if I am unhappy with the Council’s decision?

If you disagree with a decision Tameside MBC has made with regard to your Council Tax Support claim, you should write to them to say why you disagree. The address to write to is:

Revenues Division,
Exchequer and Support Services,
Tameside MBC,
Council Offices,
Wellington Road,
Ashton under Lyne,
OL6 6DL.
If Tameside MBC tell you they have not changed their decision, or if they do not reply to your letter within two months, you can appeal to the independent Valuation Tribunal Service. The appeal form is available here.

Benefit Checks and Grants

Getting Advice

Where can I use a PC?

Age Uk Jigsaw Homes Tameside Ashton Adullam Leap Regenda Citizens Advice Action Together GMPA Tameside Mind DWP